Looking for something delicious to make with all that fresh summer corn? This looks ah-mazing. And not too bad on the waistline either.
2 small ears of fresh sweet corn or 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
1 pound shelf-stable potato gnocchi
3/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
1 3 ounce package cream cheese, cut up
1/2 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and dried basil or oregano
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cups torn fresh arugula
Crushed red pepper (optional)
1. In Dutch oven cook gnocchi according to package directions, adding corn the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Use tongs to transfer ears of corn (if using) to cutting board. Drain gnocchi and corn kernels (if using), reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Do not rinse.
2. Meanwhile, for cream sauce, in medium saucepan combine half-and-half, cream cheese, salt, garlic powder, dried herb, and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in reserved pasta water.
3. Return cooked pasta to Dutch oven. Cut corn from cob and add to pasta. Pour cream sauce over pasta; heat through, if necessary. Stir in arugula. Serve in bowls. Sprinkle with additional salt, pepper, dried herb, and crushed red pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
- Variation Change Up:Replace the corn with 1 cup chopped red sweet pepper and/or add 12 oz cooked shrimp after tossing with gnocchi with the cream sauce.
Nutrition Facts (Gnocchi, Sweet Corn & Arugula in Cream Sauce)
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- Calories 328,
- Protein (gm) 8,
- Carbohydrate (gm) 46,
- Fat, total (gm) 13,
- Cholesterol (mg) 40,
- Saturated fat (gm) 7,
- Monosaturated fat (gm) 3,
- Polyunsaturated fat (gm) 1,
- Dietary Fiber, total (gm) 1,
- Sugar, total (gm) 3,
- Vitamin A (IU) 826,
- Vitamin C (mg) 5,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 1,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 32,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- Sodium (mg) 908,
- Potassium (mg) 234,
- Calcium (DV %) 101,
- Iron (DV %) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet