We’ve all seen the sensory bin ideas on Pinterest. But are they are easy to make? And the good news is, Yes, they are a snap. Sensory bins are great for fine motor skills but also for focus, and engaging and calming a child. Let’s do this!
SUPPLIES FOR DYEING RICE
- Inexpensive, long grain white rice
- vinegar (not rubbing alcohol)
- food coloring or icing gels
- food storage container with lid
INGREDIENTS FOR EACH COLOR OF RICE:
- 1 cup of rice
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- Wilton icing gel (you could also use several drops of liquid food coloring)
Add Food Coloring
- Pour a cup of rice into your margarine container. Then, with a toothpick, swirl a generous dollop of icing color-gel through the rice.
- Add Vinegar
- Drizzle 1/2 tsp of vinegar over the rice.
- Pop the lid on your container, and shake the heck out of it. Remove lid, and be amazed!
DRYING YOUR COLORED RICE
- Spread each batch of colored rice out on a plate or a baking sheet.
- Place your rice in the sun to dry quickly.
We followed the Happy Hooligans recipe for this craft.
More ideas for your rice:
- Hide objects in the rice for your child to find
- If your rice is in a large bin, let your child step into the bin with bare feet to feel it on their toes
- Get an empty ice cube tray to have some sorting fun