Student performances offer cheap tix for great theater (every weekend now through May)! Bravo!
Last month, I went to my first Broadway show. Ever.
While I’m not a huge live-theater-kind-of-gal, I must admit that the NYC show was pretty amazing. That being said, a couple of years ago, I saw a Dover Middle School production of Annie that blew my doors off. What I’m getting at is that you don’t have to spend beaucoup bucks to see some talent on stage. You also don’t have to spend $11 for a bag of M&M’s at the Times Square refreshment counter. Or wear heels.
Check out all the upcoming student productions happening around the Seacoast!
Opening in March & April!
“Beauty & the Beast”
Spaulding High School Masque & Dagger Club
- Shows run Thursday, Friday and Saturday, March 9, 10, 11 & 16, 17, 18 at 7pm with three matinees on Sunday, March 12 & 19 at 2pm and Saturday, March 18 at 1pm.
- You can purchase tickets in advance at the SHS Auditorium in Rochester or buy tickets at the door.
- Admission is $7 adults, $5 seniors and students.
“Just for Kicks”
- Join the middle school students for evening sports-themed drama when a girl joins the high school’s football team and the English teacher is tapped to coach!
- Performances are Thursday, March 16 at 4pm, Friday, March 17 at 7pm and Saturday, March 18 at 7pm.
- Tickets are $5 general admission and available at the door.
- Call 603-926-2200 for more info.
Rye Junior High
- The beloved Orphan Annie along with Miss Hannigan, billionaire Oliver Warbucks, his personal secretary, Grace Farrell, and a lovable mutt named Sandy embark on a new future together.
- Performances are Thursday, Friday and Saturday, March 23, 24 & 25 at 7pm
- Call 603-964-5591 for pricing.
Dover Middle School
- The trans-Atlantic story of two men, two leading ladies and only one starring role.
- Shows run Thursday, Friday and Saturday, April 6, 7 & 8 at 7pm and Sunday, April 9 at 2pm.
- Tickets are $5 for adults, $3 for students; the performance takes place at Dover High School.
- Call 603-516-7200 for more info.
Marshwood High School
- Shows run Friday and Saturday, March 31, April 7 & 8; 7:00 pm
- Tickets $8 in advance/$10 at the door
- Call 207-384-4500 for more info.
Hitting stages in May, Portsmouth Christian Academy’s production of “Joseph and the Amazing, Technicolor Dreamcoat” runs May 25-27 with details on tickets and performance times still evolving. Visit pcaschool.org for more details.
Other Youth Theater around the Seacoast!
Coming up this summer in June, Garrison Players Arts Center in Rollinsford highlights their youth talent with performances of “Guys and Dolls” (actors ages 2-6 grade) running Saturday and Sundays, June 10-25 at 2 p.m. Also in June, “Thoroughly Modern Millie” (actors ages 7-12 grade) runs Fridays and Saturdays, June 9-24 at 7 p.m. For only $10 per ticket (open seating), it’s extremely economical. Be sure to purchase tickets online in advance, seats are limited and do sell out. For info, visit garrisonplayers.org.
The Ogunquit Playhouse in Maine has a long-standing tradition of youth summer theater productions and this year is no different. On stage in July and August is “The Lion King”, “Alice in Wonderland” and “Fame”. All seats are $15 and show run times vary from 40-75 minutes which is perfect for young attention spans. Tickets on sale now, visit ogunquitplayhouse.org.
The Homeschool Theater Guild will bring their production of “Just So, Mr. Kipling – The Jungle Book” to the Rochester Opera House stage with four shows (two matinees) May 25-27. Tickets are currently on sale and are only $5 advance/ $7 at the door. Visit rochesteroperahouse.com for more information.
The New Hampshire Theatre Project and the Junior Repertory Company present “The Jungle Book” running April 7-9, 2017, Friday & Saturday at 7 p.m.; Saturday & Sunday at 2 p.m. General admission tickets are are $10 each or $30 for a family of 4 and can be purchased by visiting nhtheatreproject.org.
Break a leg, kids!