Student spring performances offer cheap tix for great theater! Bravo!
When I was a junior in high school, I worked up the nerve to take part in a student drama production. What part did I play? No, no, I worked the spotlight. I wasn’t actually anywhere near the stage. That required way more cojones than I’ve ever had.
Isn’t it amazing the talent and bravery these youth actors have? Beyond impressive! Youth productions are an excellent (and reasonably priced) opportunity to expose your family to local theater. Check out all the upcoming student productions happening around the Seacoast!
Check out all the upcoming student productions happening around the Seacoast!
Opening in March & April!
“Fidler on the Roof”
Spaulding High School Masque & Dagger Club
- Shows run Thursday, Friday and Saturday, March 15, 16 & 17 & 22, 23 & 24 at 7:00pm with two matinees on Sunday, March 18 & 25 at 2:00pm.
- You can purchase tickets in advance at the SHS Auditorium in Rochester or buy tickets at the door.
- Admission is $7 adults, $5 seniors and students.
Marshwood High School, South Berwick ME
- Performances are Friday and Saturday evenings, March 30 & 31 and April 6 & 7, at 7:00pm.
- Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door.
- Call 207-384-4500 for more info.
“The Little Mermaid”
Rochester Middle School
- Performances are Friday and Saturday, April 6 and 7 at 7:00pm and Sunday, April 8 at 2:00pm.
- Performances are held at Spaulding High School and tickets are $5 at the door.
- Call 603-332-4090 for more info.
“Shrek the Musical”
Dover Middle School
- The trans-Atlantic story of two men, two leading ladies and only one starring role.
- Shows run Thursday, Friday and Sunday, April 12, 13 and 15 at 7:00pm and Sunday, April 15 at 2:00pm.
- Tickets are $5 for adults, $3 for students; the performance takes place at Dover High School.
- Call 603-516-7200 for more info.
Coming in May!
The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
Exeter Town Hall
- Instantly charming audiences with effortless wit as it introduces an eclectic and neurotic group of tweens vying for their local spelling championship. A riotous, fast-paced ride complete with audience participation, this show is a delightful showcase of comedic (and academic) genius!
- Friday, May 11 – 7:00pm; Saturday, May 12 – 2:00 & 7:00pm; Sunday, May 13 – 2:00pm
- Tickets: $15
Also hitting stages in May, Portsmouth Christian Academy’s musical production of “The Secret Garden” runs May 24-26 showing nightly at 7pm with a 2pm Saturday matinee. Visit pcaschool.org for more details.
Also, Portsmouth High School’s spring play (title TBA) will take place from May 4-6–stay tuned for more details.
Other Youth Theater around the Seacoast!
The Homeschool Theater Guild will bring their production of “Huck Finn’s High Tailin’ Adventures” to the Rochester Opera House stage with four shows (two matinees) May 24-26. Tickets are currently on sale and are only $5 advance/ $7 at the door. Visit rochesteroperahouse.com for more information.
Coming up in early summer, Garrison Players Arts Center in Rollinsford highlights their youth talent with performances of “High School Musical Jr.” (actors ages 3-7th grade) running June 16-24. Also in June, “Grease” (actors ages 7-12th grade) runs June 8-16. For only $10 per ticket (open seating), it’s extremely economical. Be sure to purchase tickets online in advance, seats are limited and do sell out. For info, visit garrisonplayers.org.
The Ogunquit Playhouse in Maine has a long-standing tradition of youth summer theater productions and this year is no different. On stage in July and August is “Disney’s High School Musical”, “The Lion King”, “Sleeping Beauty” and “Tom Sawyer the Musical”. All seats are $15 and show run times vary from 40-75 minutes which is perfect for young attention spans. Tickets on sale now, visit ogunquitplayhouse.org.
Break a leg, kids!