When I was a junior in high school, I worked up the nerve to take part in a student drama production. What part did I play? No, no, I worked the spotlight. I wasn’t actually anywhere near the stage. That required way more cojones than I’ve ever had.
Isn’t it amazing the talent and bravery these youth actors have? Beyond impressive! Youth productions are an excellent (and reasonably priced) opportunity to expose your family to local theater.
Check out all the upcoming student productions happening around the Seacoast!
Opening in March & April!
“Alice in Wonderland, Jr.”
MSMS Drama Club at Spaulding High School
- Shows run March 29th at 6:00pm and March 30th at 6:00pm
- Admission is $5 at the door
“Once on this Island”
Marshwood High School, South Berwick ME
- Performances are Friday and Saturday evenings, March 29 & 30 and April 5 & 6, at 7:00pm.
- Call 207-384-4500 for more info.
“Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Jr.”
Dover Middle School
- Shows run Thursday, April 4th, Friday, April 5th and Saturday April 6th at 7:00pm and Sunday, April 7th at 2:00pm
- Tickets are $6 for adults, $4 for students; the performance takes place at Dover High School.
- Click here to purchase tickets online.
Exeter High School
- Performances are Friday and Saturday, April 5th and 6th at 7:00pm, Sunday, April 7th at 2:00pm
- Click here to get more information
Coming in May!
Exeter Town Hall
- The timeless, captivating tale follows the adventures of sisters Jo, Meg, Beth and Amy March as they grow up in the midst of the Civil War. Jo is a writer intent on selling her stories for publication, but no one is interested – that is, until she receives the advice that she would do better to write more of her own experiences
- Friday, May 10th – 7:00pm; Saturday, May 11th – 7:00pm; Sunday, May 12th – 2:00pm
- Tickets: $15
Also hitting stages in May, Portsmouth Christian Academy’s musical production of “Mary Poppins” runs May 23-25 showing nightly at 7pm with a 2pm Saturday matinee. Visit pcaschool.org for more details.
Other Youth Theater around the Seacoast!
The Homeschool Theater Guild will bring their production of “The Arabian Nights” to the Rochester Opera House stage with four shows (two matinees) May 30th at 7:00pm, May 31st at 9:30am and 7:00pm and June 1st at 2:00pm. Tickets are currently on sale and are only $5 advance/ $8 at the door. Visit rochesteroperahouse.com for more information.
Coming up in early summer, Garrison Players Arts Center in Rollinsford highlights their youth talent with performance of “Crazy for You.” (actors ages 10-16) running June 14-23. For info, visit garrisonplayers.org.
The Ogunquit Playhouse in Maine has a long-standing tradition of youth summer theater productions and this year is no different. Check back for more information or visit ogunquitplayhouse.org.
Break a leg, kids!