Portsmouth Criterium Kids Races for ages 4-12 on Sunday 9/7. Register for only $5!
If your kids enjoy riding their bikes, Sunday, September 7, 2014 will provide a fun and exciting opportunity for them to try their hand at bicycle racing in Market Square before the Pros arrive! Families that stick around after the kids’ race will get to enjoy an afternoon of world class cycling. The criterium style of racing, which features multiple laps on a short circuit, is the most spectator friendly type of bike race, as riders sprint for prizes on each lap and viewers can watch the race develop and the lead change over multiple circuits.
There will be four different race categories for kids, divided by age group, starting at 11:30 am.
- The afternoon will begin with a training wheels race for kids ages 4-6 racing approximately 300 meters, starting at the corner of Congress Street and Maplewood Avenue and finishing in front of Popovers.
- Kids ages 4-6 on regular bicycles will follow, racing the same course.
- Kids 7-9 will race approximately one lap of full 0.6 mile race course.
- Riders aged 10-12 will each race approximately two laps of the course.
Medals are awarded to the top 3 boys and girls in each race, and all racers receive a participant ribbon. Large fields will be divided into heats for safety.
Registration & Check-In Information
- Check-in will happen Sunday morning between 8:30 am-10:00 am on Pleasant Street between Market Square and State Street. There will be a bike safety check and helmet fit check for all participants. A properly fitting helmet is required to race.
- Please note check-in will end at 10:00 am to allow time for all racers to get their bicycles checked for safety and get to the starting line! This means ALL pre-registered kids-race riders must check-in by 10:00 am. We ask parents to PLEASE arrive early to minimize delays in getting through the check-in process and safety checks.
Portsmouth boasts a long history of professional bicycle racing: from a steady series of downtown races throughout the 1970s and 1980s, to three races held since 2000 attended by the highest-caliber national racers.
So bring the family and enjoy a great afternoon of cycling and fun in Downtown Portsmouth!
Portsmouth Criterium Kids Races
Market Square, Portsmouth , NH
Sunday, September 7, 2014
8:30am-10:00am(check-in), 11:30am race time
$5 entry fee