Multicultural Block Party Day at CMNH this Wednesday, 4/17
In conjunction with our current Gallery 6 exhibit, MOSAIC: Exploring our Multicultural Neighborhood, the Children’s Museum is hosting a day of arts and culture from many different lands.
From 10 am – 1 pm, Mexican artist Cilau Valadez will be demonstrating Huichol, the fascinating art of yarn painting. Cilau is from the village of Santiago, Ixcuentia, where his father is also a Huichol artist. Visitors can watch Cilau work and enjoy a display of beautiful art from the Huichol Center and works created by other artists in his collective. Thank you to our friends at Margaritas Mexican Restaurants for sponsoring Cilau’s visit.
From 2:00 – 4:30 pm, there will be a “block party” in the museum, celebrating many different cultures and their traditions. Activities include:
– CMNH volunteer Runjuan will demonstrate and facilitate Chinese brush painting
in the Naturalist Study.
– Local resident Nasim will demonstrate Persian New Year customs.
– Children can play a variety of games from other lands in the Studio from 2 – 4 pm.
– From 4-4:30 pm, the Indonesian Youth Music Ensemble will perform in the Muse Studio.
– There will be food from other cultures to sample in the small classroom, with contributions from local restaurants and caterers showcasing food from Greece, Indonesia, India, Iran, Malia, and Mexico.
– Children in traditional clothing from Mexico, Morocco, Iran, China and Mali will be walking around the museum with a parent. A trunk with museum-owned costumes will be avaialable for visitors to try on.
– The Mindball exhibit will be set up as a story booth. Visitors can share a unique story about their family to be recorded on video.
– Gallery Coordinator Tess Feltes will give gallery talks about the Mosaic exhibit.
– Multicultural folktales will be read aloud on the 2nd floor.
Children’s Museum of NH
6 Washington Street, Dover NH 603-742-2002
Wednesday, April 17; 10:00am – 4:30pm