I’m all for staying in my pajamas and relaxing with family over the holidays. But there comes a time when everyone gets a little stir crazy and needs a change of scenery! If you’re looking for an educational activity to get your up and out of your house, you should definitely checkout the decorated historical houses at Strawberry Banke. This Guided 90-minute tour will take you through 5 historic houses.
5 Decorated Houses
- Chase House (1762): Explore the decorated Chase’s family home, where winter was a time for entertaining and feasting.
- Goodwin Mansion (1870): Experience the height of the Victorian period and a Christmas celebration as Mrs. Goodwin prepares a Victorian Christmas.
- Shapiro House (1919): Share in the experience of a Jewish immigrant family who came from Ukraine to Portsmouth in the early 20th century. Mrs. Shapiro prepares a Hanukkah celebration in her 1919 Russian Jewish kitchen.
- Abbott House (1943): Portsmouth is in the midst of World War II and the Abbotts await news of their soldier fighting in Europe.
- Wheelwright (1780): Experience how people dealt with the cold in the 18th century and learn how the winter months came to be a time of celebration.
- Thursday, December 26 – Tuesday, December 31, 2019
- Tours start on the hour 10 am to 2 pm.
- Please arrive 15 min before the start of the tour.
- Adults – $15
- Children 5-17 – $10
- Children under 5 free
- Purchase tickets in advance online.
Holiday House Guided Tour
Strawberry Banke Museum – 14 Hancock St. Portsmouth, NH 03801
December 26 – December 31, 2019; tours begin at 10:00am, 11:00am, 12:00pm, 1:00pm and 2:00pm
$15/adult, $10 ages 5-17, children under 5 free